Junior Year House

For my junior year of college, myself and five other friends have decided to rent a house out in Amherst. It's a split level, with five bedrooms, and two bathrooms. It is fairly nice, but definitely needs some work done to it. Here's where the shit started, when we talked to her about the lease she wrote it down on a scrap piece of paper, never did any research, didn't put any thought into it. We brought it to student legal services to make sure that we wouldn't get screwed over. We have the worst landlord though, our lease started June 1st (we don't plan on moving in until the end of August) but she hasn't moved out of the house but I'm still paying rent.....? Which I think is complete bullshit. Also, she told us the house would be done being painted by the time our lease started, as of Monday, no progress. I also emailed her and asked if she wouldn't mind having the house cleaned before we move in and if she could fix the front lock...."Before August 25th I will try to paint and do other things" No. That's not what I asked, I do not want to move into a dirty house, that's not fair. I'm just very flustered about buying all the stuff that we need for the house and about the house being ready for when we move in, also mad about paying for the house even though she hasn't moved out of it.

Tip 1: Find a house with an experienced landlord.
Tip 2: Make sure the house is up to your expectations
Tip 3: Don't rent a house because you feel bad about saying no to your friends
Tip 4: Don't expect the house to be clean/organized like your parent's house

Comments