Back To University


I have started my second year here at UMass and to be honest I'm feeling pretty confident in myself. My roommate from last year who ended up being one of my best friends is studying abroad this semester so the friend train is pretty much non existent right now, but I'm working on it. I plan on being more involved with UPC (our university's programming council). There are a few kids from last year who are also doing it again so I'm hoping to becoming closer with them. I have a few friends from high school on campus but we all have super different schedules and some of them are in relationships which always makes life a little more hectic.



UMass has construction going on everywhere as usual, but this year it is getting in the way of my shortest routes to certain places. Also, going to the gym has been a major struggle because I feel like I constantly have reading or some sort of work to do that I feel like I can't put aside like 2 hours or the gym. I have a few of people that I am friendly with on my dorm floor but I don't go get meals with them or things like that.


This semester I'm taking History of Indigenous people, CommDis 211 (Anatomy), Human and Child Development, and a Sustainable Community class. I am glad I only stuck with four classes because the amount of readings and papers that I have is disgusting. But I'm trying to balance my time and not wait until the last minute to do things. Also, having a new roommate who I'm not super great friends with gives me more opportunities to escape the room for hours and not care about eating dinner alone afterwards. BUT that being said, I would do anything to have Jordi back.

I am very excited that I go to school in Massachusetts though because I have always been very close to my family and having the option of them coming to see me or going home on the weekends makes life a lot more enjoyable. I don't feel trapped at school or left out at home. My family means so much to me and being able to spend time together means so much to me. I'm going home this weekend and it happens to be my sisters homecoming and it's her senior year and I'm very happy to be able to be a part of that. Two weekends ago my sister came and visited me and we walked around campus and found where all of my classes would be as well as went into town and got Mexican and doughnuts afterwards. It was so much fun.

I am living right next to the building I lived in last year and I love it, it is the smallest dorm on campus and the view is amazing. My dorm is on a big hill and when you look out the window or down the hill when you're walking you often see a beautiful sunset or magical blue skies.
Western Massachusetts really has so much to offer, the scenery is beautiful. I have been going to work with my friend Michaela after classes recently, I bring my homework and go on the tours that she gives and the museum is so beautiful and relaxing that it helps me feel less stressed.
Sometimes I think about whether I am in the right place or not, whether I would thrive being at a different school, or if I would like commuting to school more, whether the city would be a better place for me. But I think for me, I am comfortable where I am. I know where most things are, I know how most things work. I like that I can walk around campus and not need cross lights, and that we have an actual campus. I love that I live close to town so I can walk there if I need to, I love that the PVTA buses are free for us and that there's a Peter Pan pick-up and drop-off at campus. I don't have a lot of friends but I am comfortable and I think that's all that matters. I do wish school was cheaper but no matter what it will be more expensive than I want it to be.